Rebuilding the Gulf
Rebuild 1000 is Rebuilding Together’s commitment to rebuild 1,000 homes in the Gulf from the coast of Mississippi to southeast Texas in the wake of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.
Although more than two years have passed since these storms devastated the Gulf Coast, thousands remain in FEMA trailers and are still critically in need of help. These “temporary” shelters have now become overcrowded homes for many families. High levels of toxic chemicals found in these trailers are affecting the health and well being of the most vulnerable: children, the elderly and disabled . There is no better time than now to get these families back into safe and healthy homes!
The strength of Rebuilding Together’s work in the Gulf relies on the continued participation of dedicated volunteers, with your help we can accelerate the rebuilding in the Gulf. We plan to rebuild 500 homes by the end of 2008 and reach 1,000 homes by 2010. In order to reach our objectives, Rebuild 1000 is sending out A Call To Action among skilled volunteers with plumbing, electrical, roofing, carpentry skills or general handyman skills.
Work to rehabilitate damaged homes is being done during National Work Weeks hosted by our Gulf Affiliates. Meals, lodging and transportation to and from the work site are all provided by Rebuilding Together. Typically, a work week will include houses in different phases of rebuilding. Work sites can include homes gutted to the studs that need roofing, rewiring, rough-in plumbing, insulation, dry wall, mud and taping, flooring, window replacement, installing cabinets and interior painting. Exterior work can include replacement of siding, building wheelchair ramps, building stairs, scraping, priming and painting. Your expertise is needed now more than ever!
- When is our next National Work Week in the Gulf Coast?
- Please contact our office at (314)918-9918 Ex 24 for details on upcoming work weeks.
- Where am I needed?
- Louisiana and Mississippi
- What is provided?
- Meals, lodging and transportation to and from the work site and lodging are all provided by Rebuilding Together. You will need to make your own arrangements to get from St. Louis to New Orleans. If you are interested in car pooling please let us know when you contact us.
- How do I find out more?
- Contact Jessie Conner for more information at email@example.com or call her at (314)918-9918 Ex 24. Everyone who has returned from one of our Gulf Coast Work Weeks tells us what a wonderful time they had doing much needed repair work for deserving people. They meet great people and will always remember the trip.